Liblinphone is a high-level SIP library integrating all calling and instant messaging features into an unified easy-to-use API. It is the cross-platform VoIP library on which the Linphone application is based on, and that anyone can use to add audio and video calls or instant messaging capabilities to an application.
Copyright © Belledonne Communications
Liblinphone is dual licensed, and is available either :
under a GNU/GPLv3 license, for free (open source). Please make sure that you understand and agree with the terms of this license before using it (see LICENSE.txt file for details).
under a proprietary license, for a fee, to be used in closed source applications. Contact Belledonne Communications for any question about costs and services.
- Supported features and RFCs : https://www.linphone.org/technical-corner/liblinphone/features
- Multi-language API documentation : https://www.linphone.org/snapshots/docs/liblinphone/multilang/
- Liblinphone developer guide on Linphone public wiki: https://wiki.linphone.org/xwiki/wiki/public/view/Lib/
The linphone-sdk git project is the recommended way to build liblinphone, as it bundles all required an optional dependencies to build liblinphone as git submodules. It has a top-level CMake build script that makes life easier.
Here the main dependencies listed:
- BcToolbox: portability layer
- BelleSIP: SIP stack
- Mediastreamer2: multimedia engine
- Belcard: VCard4 support
- Belr generic parsing engine for ABNF defined languages.
- libsqlite3: user data storage (can be disabled)
- python interpreter and pystache, six python module (needed for C++/C#/Java wrappers and API documentation)
- doxygen and dot (needed for C++ wrapper and API documentation)
- Bzrtp: zrtp stack used to secure calls
Build instructions (when used standalone, outside of linphone-sdk)
cmake . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=<prefix> -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=<search_prefixes> make make install
Supported build options
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=<string>: install prefix
CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=<string>: column-separated list of prefixes where to search for dependencies
ENABLE_SHARED=NO: do not build the shared library
ENABLE_STATIC=NO: do not build the static library
ENABLE_STRICT=NO: build without strict compilation flags (-Wall -Werror)
ENABLE_DOC=YES: Make the reference documentation of liblinphone to generated
ENABLE_UNIT_TESTS=NO: do not build testing binaries
ENABLE_VCARD=NO: disable VCard4 support
ENABLE_TOOLS=NO: do not build tool binaries
ENABLE_LIME=NO: disable Linphone Instant Messaging Encryption
Note for packagers
Our CMake scripts may automatically add some paths into research paths of generated binaries.
To ensure that the installed binaries are striped of any rpath, use
while you invoke cmake.
Rpm packaging liblinphone can be generated with cmake3 using the following commands:
mkdir WORK cd WORK cmake3 ../ make package_source rpmbuild -ta --clean --rmsource --rmspec liblinphone-<version>-<release>.tar.gz
Belledonne Communications SARL, all rights reserved.
This software is distributed under GNU GPLv3. Please read COPYING file for full license text.
-  Linphone: https://linphone.org/technical-corner/linphone
-  bctoolbox: https://gitlab.linphone.org/BC/public/bctoolbox or https://www.linphone.org/releases/sources/bctoolbox
-  belle-sip: https://gitlab.linphone.org/BC/public/belle-sip or https://www.linphone.org/releases/sources/belle-sip
-  mediastreamer2: https://gitlab.linphone.org/BC/public/mediastreamer2 or https://www.linphone.org/releases/sources/mediastreamer
-  belcard: https://gitlab.linphone.org/BC/public/belcard or https://www.linphone.org/releases/sources/belcard
-  bzrtp: https://gitlab.linphone.org/BC/public/bzrtp or https://www.linphone.org/releases/sources/bzrtp
-  linphone-sdk https://gitlab.linphone.org/BC/public/linphone-sdk